Central region was historically part of the Western Region until 1970 when it was carved out as a separate regional entity just before the 1970 Population Census. It occupies an area of 9,826 square kilometres or 4.1 percent of Ghana?s land area, making it the third smallest in area after Greater Accra and Upper East. It shares common boundaries with Western Region on the west, Ashanti and Eastern Regions on the north, and Greater Accra Region on the east. On the south is the 168-kilometre length Atlantic Ocean (Gulf of Guinea) coastline.
The Central Region was the former administrative centre of the Gold Coast. The region was the first area in the country to make formal contact with the Europeans. Its capital, Cape Coast, with the local name Oguaa was the capital of the Gold Coast until 1877, when the capital was moved to Accra. It was in the castle of Cape Coast that the historic Bond of 1844 was signed between the British and the 17 coastal and near-coastal states.
The region is home to historical monuments such as forts and castles. The renowned ones are the Cape Coast Castle in Cape Coast, the Elmina Castle and Fort Sao Jago both in Elmina, the Fort William at Anomabo and Fort Good Hope at Senya. It was in the castle of Cape Coast that the historic Bond of 1844 was signed between the British and the Fante Confederation.
The region has two universities, the University of Cape Coast and the University of Education, Winneba. The Cape Coast Municipality has reputable secondary schools such as the Mfantsipim School, St. Augustines College, Wesley Girls High School, Adisadel College and Holy Child School and has produced some of the prominent citizens in the country.
Date Created : 11/29/2017 2:10:26 AM
- Region Sublinks
- District Related
- Other Links
- Quick Links