Legislative Instrument (1762)
Local Government (Bia District Assembly) (Establishment) Instrument, 2004
In exercise of the powers conferred on the Minister responsible for Local
Government and Rural Development by subsection (1) of section 3 of the Local Government Act, 1993 (Act 462) and with the prior approval of the Cabinet, this Instrument is made this 18th day of February, 2004.
Establishment of Assembly
1. There is hereby established a District Assembly to be known as the Bia District Assembly referred to in this Instrument as "Assembly" for the area specified in the First Schedule to this Instrument.
Composition of members of Assembly
1. (1) the Assembly shall consist of the following members:
• the District Chief Executive:
• (34) persons representing the electoral areas within the District elected by universal adult suffrage in accordance with regulations made for that purpose by the Electoral Commission,
• the member or members of Parliament from the constituencies that fall within the area of authority of the Assembly, except that the member or members shall have no voting rights and
• other persons not exceeding 30 per cent of the total membership of the Assembly appointed by the President in consultation with the traditional authorities and other interest groups in the District.
1. The members appointed under sub-paragraph (d) of sub-regulation (1) may be re-appointed
2. Elections to the Assembly shall be held once every four years except that such elections and elections to Parliament shall be held at least six months apart.
3. For the purpose of election to the Assembly the area of authority of the Assembly shall be divided into the electoral areas specified in the First Schedule to this Instrument.
4. The Assembly may conduct its business in English and in any Ghanaian language common to the communities in the District.
5. The emoluments of the members of the Assembly shall unless otherwise provided in Act 462 be determined by the Assembly and shall be paid out of the resources of the Assembly.
Date Created : 11/19/2017 12:21:10 AM