The economic and social development of a country depends on qualitative and quantitative nature of its productive resources. This chapter analyses data on the economic activity status of the population, age and sex structure of the employed population, employment status and sector of employment as well as an age-sex composition of the unemployed population in the District. 4.2 Economic Activity Status According to 2010 PHC, activity status refers to the economic or non-economic activity of respondents during the seven days preceding the census night.
Economically active population includes persons who were in paid employment or self-employed or contributing family workers; persons who did not work but had jobs to return to; and persons who were unemployed. The presentation on Table 4.1 is on the population 15 years and older by economic activity and sex. It can be seen that 64.0 percent of the population 15 years and older are economically active (employed and unemployed population). The remaining 36.0 percent are economically not active (those engaged in home duties, full time education, on pension/retirement, disabled/sick, too old/young and others).
There are variations between the sexes. For instance, the proportion of population 15 years and older that is economically active is 66.8 percent for males while the corresponding proportion for females is 61.6 percent. On the contrary, the proportion of the population who are economically not active is 38.4 percent for females compared to 33.2 percent for males. Further, the economically active population 15 years and above, about 96.4 percent of the males are employed compared to the corresponding proportion of 96.1 percent for females.
For females, the proportion of the economically active population 15 years and above that is unemployed is 3.9 percent compared to 3.6 percent for males. For females, the economically not active population 15 years and above is about 38.4 percent of the subpopulation compared to a share of 33.2 percent for males. This difference is due partly to the majority of males (57.3%) as compared to 35.0 percent for females being in full-time education. This is also due to a relatively lower proportion of males (10.7%) of the economically not active male population doing household chores compared to the proportion of 27.7 percent of economically not active females doing household chores .
Date Created : 11/17/2017 4:08:59 AM
- District Sublinks
- Other Links
- Other Officers