Education serves as the backbone of development in every society and it is essential for everyone since through education we acquire knowledge to help us develop personally and collectively as a nation. Any nation that has its human resource base being mostly illiterate suffers greatly in the attempt to develop.
Figure 3.2 and Table 3.9 show population 11 years and older by sex, age and literacy status. About 91 percent of the population are literate and the remaining 8.9 percent are not literate. Of the literate population, 48.8 percent of the population aged 11 years and older are literate in English and Ghanaian language, 44.4 percent are literate in English only and 3.2 percent are literate in Ghanaian language only. The proportion of those literate in English and French is the lowest (0.9%).
Among the male population, 94.8 percent are literate and 5.2 percent are not literate. Of the male literate population, majority are literate in both English and Ghanaian language. Also among the female population, 87.8 percent are literate while the remaining 12.2 percent are not literate. Among the literate female population, literacy in languages follow the general discussion with majority been literate in English and Ghanaian language (Table 3.9).
Level of education
Table 3.9 shows that of the population 3 years and older who are currently attending school, 51.1 percent are females and 48.9 percent are males. The proportions of males currently in school are higher in nursery (50.5%) and kindergarten (50.9%) than their female counterparts, 49.5% and 49.1%, respectively. Higher proportions of females are in primary (51.8%), JSS/JHS (52.7%) and tertiary institutions (51.5%) than males, 48.2 percent, 47.3 percent and 48.5 percent, respectively.
For past school attendance, the proportions of females who reached Primary (64.2%), JSS/JHS (54.2%), Middle (51.8%) and Post Middle/Secondary/Certificate/Diploma (62.7%) are higher than their male counterparts (35.8%, 45.8%, 48.2% and 37.3%, respectively). In the other levels of education, the proportions of males exceeded that of females.
Date Created : 11/24/2017 6:02:55 AM
- District Sublinks
- Other Links
- Other Officers