GRA takes over Property rate collections
The Ghana Revenue Authority has taken over the collection of property rates at the various assemblies to help improve their internally generated funds.
Date Created : 3/16/2023 12:00:00 AM : Story Author : Dominic Shirimori/Ghanadistricts.com
The Municipal Chief Executive for Ga East, Elizabeth Kaakie Mann made the disclosure at the first 2023 Town Hall Meeting of the Assembly brief the citizenry on governments programmes and policies as well as interventions so far made in the various sectors.
The Meeting also accorded the citizenry to ask relevant questions for answers on developments, progress and otherwise of the municipality. The MCE clarified that GRA taking over the collection of property rate was due to lack of capacity by the assemblies to maximize collection.
“As we may all be aware, the collection of Property Rates is now going to be done by the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA). This has become necessary owing to the lack of capacity by the Assemblies to maximize collection”.
“We are aware of the concerns, you the ratepayers, have been raining with the data on your properties and the related rates. We urge you all to exercise restraint as the GRA continues to team up with us to iron out all challenges associated with it and ensure smooth collection”.
The MCE assured that the move will thus help complement the assembly’s own efforts at improving revenue collection and ensure that they are able to address most of the challenges that confront the various communities.
Mr. Josuah Toxla, a representative from GRA throwing more light on the involvement of GRA explained to the public that property rates collection would solely be the responsibility of GRA; and will no longer be manually done or cash related. Instead it would be done electronically. Thus bills would be served to property owners electronically and payment also through the same means.
According to him, GRA has established a common platform “myassembly.gov.gh” for the collection of property tax rates in the country which would be operational by March ending.
The common platform would centralize the collection of property tax rates with the GRA out of the hands of the Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies. The Assemblies are entitled to 70 percent of the total collection while the remaining 30 percent goes to GRA and the Finance Ministry.