Women, Youth advised to venture into mushroom growing business
Project Coordinator of the European Union’s funded “Promush”project in the Adentan Municipality, Mrs Philomena Norman, has advised the youth to take full advantage of the project, in order to help gain employment and amass wealth for themselves.
Date Created : 7/13/2018 4:40:50 AM : Story Author : Emmanuel Frimpong/Ghanadistricts.com
The Promush project is a three (3)-year Local Economic Development Project that seeks to create employment opportunities for women, youth and Persons with Disability (PWD), develop environmentally sustainable production chain in the mushroom industry and reduce poverty within the Adentan municipality.
The EU, which is the major stakeholder of the project, is supporting with amount of 860,000 Euros which translates into 80 percent of the total project cost, whiles the Adentan Municipal Assembly, Center for Local Governance Advocacy and the Local Governance Network are together contributing 160, 000 Euros representing the remaining 20 percent.
Addressing a cross-section of potential mushroom farmers and some key officials of the Adentan Assembly during a capacity building and training programme at the EU Promush centre yesterday, Mrs Norman reechoed that, the project is further aimed at ensuring an environmentally sustainable mushroom production industry in the Adentan Municipality.
She stated that, the programme was targeting 5,500 (3,000 female and 2,500 males) farmers to take up various job opportunities in various fields including growers, baggers, processors, and marketers with an annual farmer income of GHs 30, 000 by 2020.
She noted that, the project will also use community sensitization and engagement to orient crop and animal farmers, women, youth and PWDs as well as the general public to see mushroom farming as a viable business venture, adding that potential farmers will also be encouraged to adopt mushroom as their main activity or secondary income generation activity to contribute to creating employment.
On his part, Nii Afutu Kotey Gbomosane II, Chief of Ashaley Botwe and representative of the Adentan Municipal Assembly, expressed appreciation to the EU for making funds available to help train and provide employment opportunities for the participants.
He described the project’s objective to create a sustainable employment for all, with emphasis on women, youth and PWD as a great relief to the Assembly since it will help reduce the ever- increasing unemployment situation in the area.
He thus encouraged trainees to put into proper use the skills they acquire from the training sessions and immediately startup small businesses to help improve their livelihoods and eradicate poverty from the municipality.
Meanwhile, Participants were also given certificates of training and were also assured of the EU’s support for their businesses.