The Jirapa District established by LI 1902 was carved out of the then Jirapa-Lambussie District in 2007 as part of Ghana’s decentralization process. The District Forms part of the Eleven (11) districts in the Upper West Region. The Administrative Capital of the District is Jirapa. The Jirapa district is located in the North Western corner of the Upper West Region of Ghana. The District Shares boundaries with Lambussie-karni District to the North, to the West with Lawra District, to the South with Nadowli District , to the South East with Daffiama Bussie Issa and to the North East with Sissala West.
The population of the municipality according to 2010 population and housing census stands at 88,402 with 41,592 males and 46,810 females.